Pros and Cons of Large Windows In PittsburghAug 11, 2022
Deciding what type of windows to go in your Pittsburgh home can be a challenging task. Windows can bring a lot of personality, and, of course, light to your home. Big windows have become a trend in modern design, with houses being built to incorporate nature as much as possible. Having large windows can let you see more of the scenery around you.
Becoming more connected to nature can do wonders for your mental and physical health, and it can give you an energy boost for your day. It’s important not to underestimate the impact that windows can have on a home.
Styles of Windows
There are various subsets of windows that fall within the large window category. Some of the most popular choices when it comes to big windows are:
- These are located on the roof and can easily light up a room if placed in a central position. They are great for looking out at the stars at night, too!
- This type of window is designed solely for getting the best views. Whether you live in a city and want to see the skyline in all of its glory or in the countryside and see the sunrise, picture windows are a great choice.
- Out of the different styles of large windows, these are one of the few options that allow you to fully open and close them. Be careful, though, because the larger these windows are, the heavier they become. Then they can be more difficult to open and close.
- As the name implies, arched windows typically are seen in homes that have a more sophisticated and classy tone. These windows are a great way to incorporate design and functionality seamlessly into your home.
There are more options than what is listed here. Large windows are also often custom made for each specific home, so don’t feel discouraged if you don’t see a style that you like here. If you have the imagination and the budget, the possibilities are almost endless.
Advantages of Big Windows
One of the more obvious advantages of having bigger windows is the amount of light you will have in your home. The presence of natural light will allow for a brighter, cheerier, and cozier feel in your Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania home. You can keep your lights off during the day since your home will stay plenty bright without them, and this can save you money on your energy costs.
You can expect some truly world-class views out of big windows, especially if they are positioned in ideal spots. You can feel revitalized and be left with a sense of awe without ever having to step foot outside. Another positive can be fresh air, assuming that your window can open. The bigger the window, the larger the amount of fresh air that can enter your home when it’s opened. Experiencing fresh, cool breezes within your own home is a magical feeling.
Disadvantages of Big Windows
Large windows are expensive, and there is no way around it. The bigger you go, the more it’s going to cost for the window itself and its installation. Outside of costs, some of the potential problems that you may face with bigger windows are:
- Increased temperatures. Depending on the type of window you choose, a big window may not be able to open, meaning that your ventilation capabilities can take a hit. In addition, windows can often attract more heat to come into your home as sunlight hits the window and heats your home’s interior. Think about it in the way that light goes through a magnifying glass and heats up whatever is on the other end of its focus. Your utilities may have to work overtime to make up for the increased temperatures, so that is something to keep in mind.
- Frequent cleaning. Few things can be as annoying as noticeable smudges on glass. It can completely ruin a good view if it’s in the wrong spot. If you don’t like cleaning windows, you will probably have to get used to doing it if you own a large window. Since these windows are statement pieces of a home, they need to be clean for you to get the best out of them. With big enough windows, it may not be possible to clean them fully yourself, and you may need to hire a window cleaning company.
- Reduced privacy. While you gain the ability to gaze out of your home and take in the wonderful views that windows provide, other people gain the same ability to gaze into your home. If you live in a crowded area, this means you will have a higher chance of prying eyes being able to glance into your personal life. If you value your privacy and time away from other people, you should consider investing in some good blinds.
- Damaged glass. Glass can be fragile, and bigger windows come with a greater amount of it in your home that could break. Random events happen and can be hard to predict, such as a bird flying into the glass or a branch being blown into it by the wind. If the damage caused by this is severe enough, your window could have to be replaced. Big windows can also be a target for people who enjoy destruction — for example, you might find yourself having a rock or a baseball sailing through your window.
Which Window Is Right for Me?
Ultimately, deciding which window types are best for you and your Pittsburgh home comes down to your individual tastes and preferences. It’s important to weigh the advantages and disadvantages before making a decision, as adding large windows can affect the atmosphere of your home. With big windows, it’s going to be near impossible to attempt to buy and install one yourself, so speaking with a team of trained professionals is recommended. You can carefully explore your options with them, and they can help determine what best fits your needs and preferences.