Autumn is in the air. It is time to retire your summer shorts and break out the flannel. Autumn in South Bend is a perfect time to settle down after the hustle and bustle of summer. The fall provides an opportunity to prepare for the coming winter months. When it comes to your home, the season provides the perfect opportunity to take care of some essential improvements around your home. The colder air forces us to focus more on the indoors, and being prepared for the winter is always wise. Autumn is the perfect opportunity to take care of your home.
Autumn Home Improvements
When the summer sun is out, it’s hard to want to work on home improvements. It’s a busy time of activities, sports, and enjoying the excellent weather. However, it is also when you don’t necessarily want to be out working in the hot sun. In the cooler months of autumn, it becomes a lot easier to handle both the indoor and outdoor home improvements on your list. When it comes to fall home improvements, some of the most popular options include:
- Painting: The possibilities are endless for painting projects. One great option is painting your front door. If you don’t have a storm door, your front door can take a beating throughout the year. Your front door is hit with all seasons of weather, which can dull your paint in time. A fresh coat makes your front door look new, enhancing your curb appeal without having to do a ton of work. Plus, fall painting means that you get to avoid painting in the summer heat.
In general, painting your exterior can help protect your home in Indiana for the upcoming winter months and seal different surfaces. You’ll want to do so with caution. Window frames can pop with a fresh coat or even a fun new color. Painting isn’t just for your exterior; in fact, autumn is the perfect time to redecorate and consider re-painting different rooms of your home. This helps keep dirt and dust from your walls and seal in old odors. A fresh coat of paint can help with your room’s overall insulation. Re-painting your interior molding or trim can reinvent your space without spending a lot of money.
- Power wash: Spring and summer bring a lot of heat and humidity, which can impact your home. Autumn is a perfect time to power wash its exterior. This helps make sure that your home is free of dirt, mold, and mildew. When it comes to power washing, be careful of your settings. The last thing you want to do is strip the paint or erode mortar and stone. When in doubt, trust a professional.
- Wood repair: After dealing with the dampness of spring and the heat of summer, your exterior wood should be inspected. You’ll want to take the time to repair or replace any damaged areas, porch panels, or window casings. Checking for rotting, sagging, and breakage can save you a ton of money in the long run.
- Caulk windows: There is nothing worse than a draft in the colder months. You’ll have to rely more heavily on your heating system, which can quickly increase your monthly energy bill. Nooks and crannies are the perfect spots for water, drafts, and bugs to get into your home. Finding these compromised areas and sealing them can help ensure what happens outside of your home stays outside.
- Clean the gutters: Autumn is a great time to make sure that your gutters are clear. If timed correctly, you’ll be able to get those last fallen leaves off before the winter months take over. This also allows you to check for any damage or leak risks.
- Prep your winter necessities: Before the cold weather takes hold in South Bend, it is essential to be sure that your winter accessories are ready. If you have a fireplace, take the time to ensure that it is in good working order. If your fireplace isn’t regularly maintained, you may want to get an inspection to make sure that all aspects, such as your chimney or flue, are ready to go. This also applies to your furnace. There is nothing worse than a furnace working poorly or not at all in winter. Finally, you’ll want to consider if your furnace is over 10-15 years old. Is it taking longer to heat than usual? These elements might be a sign that it is time to invest in a newer furnace.
- Insulation: Check all your window stripping around your windows, and other points of entrance where the exterior weather could impact the interior of your home.
- Re-mulch perennials: There is never a bad time to consider ways to improve your garden. Perennials are amazing flowers in that, with proper care, continue to return. The fall is perfect for adding another layer of mulch to your garden before the first few snowflakes fall. Adding this layer can help protect the base and roots, which leads to healthier spring growth.
- Clean and store lawn tools: Your lawn tools can be expensive, and it is vital to keep them in their best shape to ensure longevity. When it comes to your lawnmower and other powered tools, you’ll want to make sure they are cleaned and stored properly to avoid damage that could be caused when the weather temperature drops.
Homeowners in South Bend Indiana understand that there always seems to be something to do. When taking the time to take care of these minor checks, you’re helping to save yourself from more significant issues, which tend to be costly. The autumn is the perfect time to tackle those outdoor projects that would be miserable in the summer heat. The fall is great for preparing for the long winter months ahead to ensure that you’ll be warm and comfortable in your home. If you’re unsure of how to do any of these improvements, an expert can help answer any of your questions or concerns.